Sunday, March 1, 2009

(Web) Surfing Into Aeronautical History









A chanced web surfing accident at work last week uncovered for me a real treasure trove of World War Two web links. I started off looking for seaplane links and came across Classic Pacific Seaplane History (all links are listed below in the reference section, so click there to view it).



Then I discovered the December 7 website. It had the same look and feel as the Seaplane one. Found out about the efforts of Hawaiians trying to save Ewa Field and make it into a National Park. The United States Navy is fighting tooth and nail to prevent that. In the mean time, Ewa is quickly turning into a residential and shopping mall place. And having looked at the Yahoo Real Estate listings for Ewa when its close to quiting time at my call center job late at night when I'm bored - the prices for a 3 bedroom, 2 bath house is outrageous to my Texas sensibilities. However, if I won the lottery and was able to move to Hawaii; I would love to move into a house near Ewa. Be that as it may, this Marine fighter plane strip west of Pearl Harbor is overgrown with weeds now from the Google images that are presented on that web page.



Then there was the link for pictures of the aircraft that were used in the movie "Tora, Tora, Tora" Oh Man! I'm in seventh heaven for a airplane freak like myself. Finally I checked out the contact info and discovered that they were the creation of a John Bond (www.JohnBond.com). Turns out that his websites is part of the Hawaii Internet Website Network. From that point, you get links to such things like Gilligan's Island, McHale's Navy, Hawaii 5-O, Magnum P.I., etc.



Ok... So I OD on Hawaii stuff this weekend. Just makes me want to go back there again someday. One trip is not enough. That's why I included some my own Hawaii trip pictures taken on October 31, 2007, with this posting. The P-40 you see in my photograph isone of the ones used for the "Tora, Tora, Tora" shoot and its in a sad state of repair when I made my visit.
___
Ref. December 7 website (http://www.december7.com/)




Classic Pacific Seaplane History website(http://www.pacific-seaplanes.com/)


Classic "Tora, Tora, Tora" movie Aircraft website (http://www.december7.com/1941/Classic_Movie_Planes/index.html)




John Bond (www.JohnBond.com )

No comments: